Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Wild Babies BOM & 365 Challenge

Three days of sewing  and January's block for Wild Babies is done!  Sewing 36 units of 3 to 11 pieces takes A LOT of organization.  When I'm working on a paper pieced project I set my sewing corner up differently so tend to just chug along until I'm done.  It can be tedious and I sometimes find my mind wandering to other blocks/projects I have in the wip pile.  I stuck with it and oh my, this little Koala is too cute!  It finished at 15 1/2" x 15 1/2", a bit smaller than the pattern because of the calibration of the printer on this side of the pond.   I think it will be a wall hanging... or maybe a large cushion.
'Wild Babies' is a free-for-the-month BOM hosted by Janeen at Quilt Art Designs.  I love her patterns, but they are involved.  Worth the effort though :)




I waffled about doing the 365 Challenge, 3" blocks make me cringe and 6" blocks aren't my favorite either, but after doing 100 Days 100 Blocks I decided to give it a go.  It's a repeat of the 2016 Challenge, which I started and gave up on (I think I only did 3 blocks), and it's free (via a daily email link to the blocks) .  There are prizes, but I'm not sure how one enters to win, I just like sewing, sharing and moving on :)  Instagram is great for that.  This year, I've managed to keep on track so far... 18 - 3" blocks in 18 days.  Most of them are not done on the day, I tend to do two or three at a sitting.  This morning, after sewing the Koala units together I sewed Block 17 and 18.

17 - Thrifty


18 Double Four Patch

1 - 18

Linking up with Let's Bee Social #160 at Sew Fresh Quilts and Midweek Makers #55 at Quilt Fabrication.

12 comments:

  1. That koala is adorable. But oh my...what a lot of pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, a lot of pieces. I enjoy the process, but I do wish the pace was a bit quicker. There are so many steps to every single seam in paper piecing! LOL It puts me off a bit... just a bit apparently, because I have 4 PP BOMs/QALs in my planner ~~~shakes head~~~

      Delete
  2. Lovely koala! So many tiny pieces - kudos for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the koala and the other blocks! Thank you for sharing these beauties on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Susan, and you are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That koala is so impressive, all that work was defintely worth it, well done! I also love your dinky blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm well pleased with the Koala :) Some of the little blocks are wonky, but once sewn together they should be fine. It's a good exercise for 1/4" seams.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful paper pieced block, that really is a ton of sections and tiny pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Cheryl :) Janeen's patterns are a challenge sometimes, but so worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)