Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Bags 2 & 3

A month ago I purchased  the pattern 'Maker's Tote' from Noodlehead and I've made 4 of them so far, two large ones, using the flex foam and two small ones.  The first one, large bag 1,  I followed the pattern, even for the zipper pocket which involved cutting the foam and installing the zipper with the welt method. Yuck on that!  The flex foam is just too much work to deal with for zippers and to be honest, with adding the binding.  The separating zipper on the top is nice, it lets the bag open nice and wide.  Installing it was a bit iffy for me, I either rushed or didn't fully understand the instructions. It still makes a good bag for my crochet projects.  The foam makes it's stand up nice, though the gussets are still a little flumpy (no foam and probably not firm enough interfacing) as is the front pocket and inside pockets.






Makers Tote #2 went a little better.  It's smaller and I skipped the zipper pocket.  The foam was still a pita to work with when I applied the binding, but being smaller it was a little easier to maneuver through my machine.  I'm using it for my coloring books/markers/pencils which are a bit heavy so this one doesn't sit nicely.





Maker's Tote #3 I love :)  No foam in this one, I quilted the fabric, including the gusset and it sits up like a charm.  I made this one for Penny Lane's birthday and filled it with craft stuff.






The first three were made before Bag It officially started so aren't counted for ballots in the draw, but I hadn't posted about them yet. Now I have :)

These next two bags get counted for ballots in Bag It :)
Maker's Tote #4 is another big one, using foam.  My sister wanted a carry on for her trip to Cuba in February so got all the makings and I sewed it up this week.  She also wanted the zipper pocket, which I cheated on and made a patch pocket with a zipper.  :)  No agro with this one, maybe I've got the how tos down pat.





And finally, a star wars lunch bag, loosely following Patti's tutorial .  I didn't have the Insul Shine so just opted for a quilted bag.  Mine also has a draw string instead of velcro.  It will work great for Sam's (my sister's b/f) lunch containers.



Linking up with Bag It Entries at Elm Street Quilts (for the last two bags only).


8 comments:

  1. Oh, Kathy, you have been sew ambitious! Your bags are all gorgeous! I'll be traveling down to New Glasgow next week and Insulbrite is on my list! I'm eager to give Patty's lunch bag a go. Enjoy your day! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen, the bags sew up quick enough and it's nice to take a break from sewing blocks ;) As a child my family would travel to New Glasgow for our 2 week summer holiday. Lots of fond memories :) Looking forward to seeing your version of Patty's lunch bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful! Thanks for linking up to ESQ Bag It

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bag It is a great way to break from the norm, thanks for hosting it :)

      Delete
  4. You did a great job with the bags! They look wonderful.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Maker's Totes. I'm cutting out fabric to make one, but need to get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja, there are some tricky parts with the Maker's Tote... that front zipper pocket for one and the binding can be a pita, especially if you use the flex foam.

      Delete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)