Friday, June 17, 2016

A Purple Finish

I finally got the zipper and pillow form for the Purple Butterfly cushion and got it put together over the weekend.  I quilted it with meandering stitches in the white and some decorative stitches on the border.  I left the paper pieced butterfly un-quilted because it has lovely texture as is.

The butterfly pattern is from The Tartankiwi and is excellent and reasonably priced.

I followed a May 6, 2013 Hidden Zipper Tutorial by Chrissie D for the zipper, perfect!

The cushion finished at a plump 18" and will be travelling to it's home in Cambridge over the weekend :)

Linking up with TGIFF at Arabesque Scissors.







8 comments:

  1. Such a stunning pillow! And the backing is just perfect with it...thankyou for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali, the new owner is well pleased with it :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely paper piecing Kathy, and the perfect backing too. Well done with your zip, it's way time I gave it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate :) The hidden zip makes for a nice finish to cushions and easy to do. I've used Chrissie D's tutorial several times (I don't follow it to a t) with great results. I had always done the envelope style opening before, the hidden zip is much nicer and keeps the cushion plump with no saggy back :)

      Delete
  3. That butterfly is awesome! I've got to start using all those great tutorials for hidden zippers. My cushions always have an envelope back and it gaps. Not stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn :) The tutorial I linked to is a good one. I don't follow it completely (I don't fuse/base the zipper in place first), but the results are great anyway. Simple and it does make for a nicer finish.

      Delete
  4. That butterfly is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrienne. A quick and easy put together with good results :)

      Delete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)