Friday, May 27, 2016

My First Art Quilt

Quilt Art Designs' Peggy's Cove Lighthouse QAL started on April 6 and ended today, and wonders never cease, I actually stayed on track and got my version pieced!  This was a completely paper pieced project .  The lettering runs from A - Z, AA - AZ, BA - BZ, CA - CZ and DA - DZ with each lettered piece having anywhere from 1 to 15 pieces.  That's a ton of pieces and seams :)  Except for Week 5, which gave me no end of grief, (that jagged top is still bugging me!) I really enjoyed it.  I don't feel it was really a 'quilt along' as there wasn't much sharing going on, I don't even know if anyone else was actually quilting along as I haven't seen any progress shares other than Janeen's (the host) and only one link up, which I missed ;) I always seemed to be a day out, probably because the host is in South Africa.
My 'shares' were April 19 and May 10 right here on my little blog :)  And I also shared/bragged on Facebook a time or two (or more maybe, I don't really remember). 
The top is 47" by 34 1/2", there are a few eeks and definitely things I would change (even more than I already have done) if I were to do this one again.  But overall, I'm thrilled with this ~~~happy dance~~~
And now for the pictures... there are a few :)

Week 6

Week 7

Week 8

Back (I'm not looking forward to removing all that paper)

Lighthouse and Reflection

Lighthouse

Peggy's Cove Lighthouse


Linking up with Quilt Art Designs' Friday Fun Day (a little late as it's Saturday but the linky is still working)

14 comments:

  1. Wow, the number of pieces boggles the mind, however the result is stunning. Kudos on your quilt finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, there sure were a lot of pieces, but done in chunks it went pretty good. The sky is streaky, so the pieces tend to be long and a bit unwieldy for me, plus I struggle with those angles so there was a bit more seam ripping done than I liked. Same with some of the rocks. I preferred the last three weeks, they were smaller pieces and much easier to work with in my small space.

      Delete
  2. IT'S AMAZING! You did an awesome job, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja, I'm pleased with it. Any ideas on how to quilt it?

      Delete
  3. Oh, my goodness! This is beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I can see how some of it would have been tough to paper piece (those long, angled pieces would have driven me crazy!), but it turned out so beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Leanne, it was my first go at a completely paper pieced project and to be honest, it went very well, in spite of those big angled pieces. For some reason working on backward angles confuses... go figure LOL I'm pleased with it for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, Well Done! Your art quilt turned out AMAZING! Love it! I do actually think that only the two of us actually made this one. No problem, now we both have an art work we can be proud of.
    Im also sitting here thinking what to do on the FMQ part....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAD to do this one, living and growing up in Halifax, NS not too far from Peggy's Cove :) Put me way behind on Wanderlust though ;) I love your patterns, the ones I've done have turned out lovely.

      Delete
  7. It is really gorgeous! The number of pieces is crazy, but it really came together nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa Marie, I'm well pleased with it :)

      Delete
  8. Wow. It is absolutely stunning. I love the colours you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to say so Yvonne :)

      Delete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)