Friday, February 19, 2016

A (Saved For) Friday Finish

Usually I'm tripping all over myself to get to the computer and blog/brag about a finish, but this one I saved for the Friday link ups :)  I did mention it on Wednesday, but that was then this is now.  Janeen at Quilt Art Designs has some of the sweetest paper pieced patterns I've seen and offers some really nice free (for the month) BOMs as well as reasonably priced PDF Quarterly Magazines chock a block full of patterns.  This Jack Russel is one of hers and I love him.  I'm not going to buy the other one I saw in her Dog patterns though... I'm almost sure I'm not!  LOL
If you've followed along with me on this blogging gig, you'll know I struggle with paper piecing.  It's not a natural for me and does my head in sometimes.  I've watched videos, followed along with them step by step, taken an online class (couldn't get one of the patterns right so didn't finish it) and did the start/quit hamster wheel routine but finally, I think it is starting to stick with me.
I did still mess up a couple of times with 'Ben' (the name of Diane's  Jack Russel, for which this pillow was made) in a couple of places, I'm not sure if I used the wrong color in a couple of places or it it's an issue with lining up my seams.  Some of those seams can get rather bulky.  But he's finished and ready to be packed for my next trip across the pond.  Minus the cushion form, that's been purchased and waiting on the other side.  I went straight line quilting on the border and put a hidden zipper on the back following Made By Chrissie D's tutorial.







Two Friday Link Ups this week Quilt Art Designs, where you can see Jannen's progress on her Woodland's Quilt and TGIFF at Sunlight In Winter Quilts  where Lisa J is sharing her Quilt Planner cover.  I hope you all enjoy your Friday, stay warm, be safe and share share share :)

14 comments:

  1. It looks great!! I haven't tried paper piecing yet, though I want to. It just seems intimidating and my brain can't quite wrap around the concept. Your Jack looks lovely though, you should be proud! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the brain not quite wrapping around the concept! There are some good sites out there for us new-to-paper-piecing quilters, so when you are ready just jump in. :)

      Delete
  2. So sweet! And I love that paw print fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) The paw print was a WalMart find. I had a mini bolt of it (3 miters I think). This was my third project using it :)

      Delete
  3. Great finish! I saw the teaser earlier and wondered what it might look like and it is oh so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a reasonably quick project, for a paper pieced one. :)

      Delete
  4. It is a beautiful pillow. I love the paw print border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The paw prints are sweet, I've used it on a cuddle mat for my own dogs and it stands up to pawing and washing.

      Delete
  5. He looks great. It is hard to line up the seams on paper piecing . Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lisa, I watched a video the other day on how to line up the seams better using a pin. I'll try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He turned out beautifully! I think you've got a handle on the 'ole paper piecing now! We're planning a repeat of the paper piecing Skill Builder workshop from last year sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)