Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Blocks, blocks and more blocks

Bonfire BOM blocks are Moon & Star.  Curves!  ~~~sigh~~~  The larger pieces made the curves a bit easier for me, but they are still a long way from being a favorite block unit.



The MMQG MBOM block for January gave me some grief.  There are a couple of strips (top right white and top brown left)  that weren't long enough once I trimmed it,  but if I'm careful I should be able to squeeze the 1/4 inch seam in.


The Sugar Block Club January block is called 'Churnstile'


The Drunkard's Wife QAL Block 9 - Pina Colada and Block 10 - Sake Bomb.  Fun blocks, though I was confused  with Sake Bomb when I read a cutting measurement of 3.375.  I acutally read it as 3.75 and cut the pieces 3 and 3/4", made the square in square units and then couldn't trim them to 4 and 1/2" and keep the 1/4" seam.  I made 4 more units cutting the center blocks 3.25 instead, they worked.  I've since found out that .375 = 3/8"  Math is NOT fun!



' My Favorite Things' January Block is a sewing machine... a paper pieced one at that.  I'm determined to keep my frustration level high this year with three of my way too many BOMs being paper piecing :)





7 comments:

  1. Yes, the first of the month flurry is on :) I'll soon be taking a two week break though, I have a visitor arriving from England on the 17th :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those curved sections look damned good to me... very smooth edges. As for the paper piecing, you should take Dena's session if it's offered again. She might give you some direction that would make it less frustrating for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) The larger curves are definitely easier. I'm hoping the more I do the less frustrating it will be.

      Delete
  3. Your curves look pro! Paper piecing is not my favorite, but I like it now and again for the great pattern ops it offers. Have fun tourist-hosting, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi, I'm still on the fence with paper piecing... some days I really like it, others not so much.

      Delete
  4. Nice set of blocks! I love what we can do with paper piecing. It doesn't stress me nearly as much as it used to - MAN, it could sure make me cry!! lol Looking forward to watching your BOMs progress. :) Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)