Monday, October 12, 2015

Paper Piecing... again

Paper piecing has always been so confusing for me... looking at a mirror image for guidance, flipping back and forth between front and back and NEVER getting that first piece right but I've seen so many awesome blocks that I've really wanted to 'get it'.  Last week I took advantage of a Craftsy Class sale  and got one of their Paper Piecing Classes.  Working on 4" blocks doesn't agree with me at the best of times, paper piecing one was just nuts!  After two attempts and lots of blue air I put the Craftsy Class aside and went to my Blogger feed and clicked on Quilt Art Designs, such a great blog for Paper Piecing inspiration!  The October Quilt Art Quarterly Magazine has 18 patterns in it, several of which I WANT to do!  I followed a tutorial Janeen has on the blog than dove in head first on one of the QAQ patterns.  9 pages of pattern pieces, each piece having between 3 and 24 pieces... the eyes almost had me in tears... but OMG the end result is awesome!!!  I did get some good tips from the Craftsy Class, so that wasn't a complete waste.

Not sure how I'll quilt this guy, nor what I'll turn the 18 1/2" x 19" block into yet, for now he's just hanging out on my design wall making me smile :)



This isn't a BOM... but I'm linking up with What A Hoot's BOMs Away anyway because he is just so darn cute!  Enjoy your Monday and Happy Thanksgiving to those who are celebrating it today :)

10 comments:

  1. I think you did a fabulous job! My best advice on paper piecing is to lay the papers out, once they are cut, and writing on each piece which fabric color it is. That way, when you're sewing, it's directly on the paper and there is less confusion. I love paper piecing and really hope you get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy :) There were sooooooo many pieces in this one that I found it easier to mark each section as I went along. Still needed to refer to the pictures constantly, just to make sure. By the end I found I was actually enjoying myself. Looking forward to my next PP Project. Won't be a whole quilt yet though ;)

      Delete
  2. He's adorable. Well done on persevering. I love paper piecing. It took a while to make sense but then when it clicked I was away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina. It was kind of like doing a jigsaw puzzle, once I got into it.

      Delete
  3. You did a great job on this one! That little reindeer is super cute! I find it useful to put in a pin in the seam line and flip the fabric back over the area it's meant to cover.... before I sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn :) I use a thin ruler (or the postcard I use for folding the paper), I put the edge on the seam line and fold it back. I probably should use a pin though, then maybe I wouldn't have those slip ups as often ;)

      Delete
  4. He's cute!! I think you did a fine job. I find paper piecing confusing as well. Good luck as you learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja, this one was fun, with a couple of ah ha moments. The learning curve continues :)

      Delete
  5. What an adorable mini or block!!!! I'm glad you linked him up. :) I vividly remember the early days of paper piecing tears!! Man, did it literally make me cry. Then I went to a class with Judy Niemeyer, and it was a string of "OOOOOOOOoH" moments for me. Ever since then, it's such a breeze. But until the clicky moment, boy does it drive you insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynette :) I think my guild had a paper piecing class a couple of months ago, but I wasn't home at the time. I've resorted to learning online, but really, it's all a matter of DOING :)

      Delete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)