Friday, September 11, 2015

Electric Quilt 7 -Skylights-

The past couple of weeks, with sewing winding down in preparation for my return home, I've been learning to use my EQ7 software.  I purchased it a year ago, dabbled with it a bit over the winter (usually at home, in the evenings, while pretending to watch tv)  I generally enjoy design programs, having used Paint Shop Pro for several years, but I was finding the tutorials available for EQ7 lacking and after the cost of the software itself wasn't keen to pay to learn how to use it.  My enjoyment dwindled.

A year later... I was  prepared to pay for a class at EQ University ~~~chuckle~~~ I've been really good this month and haven't purchased anything 'quilty' so $40 + the exchange rate was burning a hole in my pocket.  Off to 'Do You EQ' I go, click on the EQ University tab and pick out the 'Class' I want to take 'EQ7 Building Blocks' and oh look... there is a Prerequisite to take 'EQ7 Sampler', at wouldn't you know, $40 + the exchange rate.  So now, my 'learn to use a program I paid probably too much for will cost me $80 + the exchange rate.   Errrrgggggggg  There is a free 'Quick Start' class, which I took last winter, and has made the program at least usable for me... but I want more!  :)

Anyway, while clicking around in Do You EQ I found some lessons with a little more meat on their bones, under Mystery Quilt Series.  The first one I did was Skylights.  I'll admit here, I didn't read the 'story' that went with the lessons, but just skipped to page 2 of each of the 12 Lessons.  Tons of learning, some repetition which helps my pea brain retain at least some of the knowledge for future use.  I only did the EQ part and doubt I'll ever actually sew the quilt... though one never knows where boredom will take me, but I was well impressed with what I learned overall.  Will I remember it all? Not likely, but at least I'm encouraged to use EQ more and hopefully retain some of it.


2 comments:

  1. You jumped in with both feet on this one! Glad you're finding ways to use your EQ... I never really got into mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your course. Hope you enjoy it more once you get a hang of it.

    ReplyDelete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)