Monday, August 17, 2015

BOMs Away August 18

On Saturday Block 8 of the Snapshots QAL hosted at The Jolly Jabber, was released.  This one was a bit fiddly, and I think there is a piece or two that could have been done differently, but it's still a nice block and I enjoyed piecing it. I was going to re-do one section, where the handle doesn't connect to the bike body, but don't have enough of the white.  I've been using different white on white fabrics for each block, and usually there is lots left over, but this one has a lot of background and the pieces left over aren't wide enough.  I checked the pattern, and it's pieced correctly, I just think the striped piece should have come down to meet the cross bar.  I also think the spokes need something...

Like Riding A Bike

A piece missing?

This is the second BOM/QAL I've done with the ladies at The Jolly Jabber and I've really enjoyed both.
Linking up with Lynette's 'BOMs Away' at What A Hoot Quilts.  I hope you all enjoy what your Monday brings.  Stay safe, be happy and share those smiles :)


8 comments:

  1. Hmm... that is odd how the handlebar doesn't meet the frame. I guess quilted bicycles don't have to be held to the same laws of physics as real ones! Looks really good through. I think you should quilt some spokes into those wheels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look odd, but it's still recognizable as a bicycle :) I may still redo that part, it wouldn't be a difficult redo.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Kathy! I really love this bicycle block. You can use the quilting to put in the details you talk about - quilt the frame line as if the stripes did connect, and quilt in the spokes. That would make a great affect. Or if you felt more industrious, you could embroider the elements in - just some easy backstitch lines for the spokes, and a label-patch area for the frame connection (I'm thinking how my bike has a cool dragon label of the shop identification of where I bought it from).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good options, and certainly doable on one block :) I really like the idea of a label patch.

      Delete
  3. If you don't want to redo the block you can always applique a small piece to join the handlebars with the bike. It won't notice when it's all quilted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's likely what I'll do Gina. It's a small area, and as you said, it shouldn't notice when it's quilted :) I'll probably use a piece of the red that I used for the seat and handles. The spokes can be quilted or embroidered (as can a connector for the carrier basket and pedal) so it's all good :)

      Delete
  4. What a great block. Weird that the parts don't touch, but it still looks great. Definitely need some spokes on the wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a great QAL, a different puzzle each month.

      Delete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)