Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Let's Bee Social #79

The battle with Hexies raged on over the last couple of weeks and they won!  Hand sewing is NOT fun.  Glue basting is messy and NOT fun.  So my best friend, Google, found me a Gourmet Quilter youtube video to follow.  Not traditional hexies, but a lot quicker and lest frustrating.  I now have a whole bunch of hexies to find a place for... some of the have to be be 'un-handsewn' :)

Once I got the hexagon wannabes sewn together I struggled with designing the seat cushions and backs.  I've discovered that I really prefer to have a pattern to follow.  This 'out of my own head' designing lark isn't all that.  I've got the pieces quilted, now I just have to sort out how I'm going to sew the cushions together.  Two backs, two seats... it shouldn't have me gritting my teeth!







In between battles I made a couple of 'tea in front of the telly' placemats.  A simple pieced mug design In From The Cold by Kate Spain. Quick and easy :)




I also made some fabric purchases, online and at my LQS, Midsomer Quilting, pictures are in this Post.

Linking up with Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts... and now I'm off to check out some of the 'Social' posts, from my first peek there are several interesting links to follow :)  I hope you all have had a wonderful week and an even better one follows :)

12 comments:

  1. Even though I love hand-piecing, I also love this machine method using the triangles and no Y-seams! Your cushions look great, and I like the greys. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I was so pleased to find the tutorial :) I tried to match the colors in the patio set, they are not exact but I think over all they will look good.

      Delete
  2. Lovely solution to the hexie frustration. And the straight line quilting looks fabulous! Those cute mug rugs are super sweet, too! Happy Canada Day, eh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorna :) I'm still not sure what I'll do with all of the EPP Hexies I have. Maybe glue them to a message board.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have much success with your EPP hexie adventure. Perhaps MMQG needs an EPP skillbuilder workshop. We could wait until you come home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did great with them, UNTIL I sewed them together, then I got all those wrinkles and threads showing errrrggggg. Was I supposed to leave the papers in place until after I sewed them together? I took them out after basting each one so I could reuse them. I'll find a use for them :) I hope to be more active with MMQG when I get home :)

      Delete
  4. I don't do well with hand piecing either, although I enjoy handwork for other things - like beading, crewel, and putting on bindings. Visiting from Let's Bee Social

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Carole :) I've got all kinds of excuses for why my hand sewing is so awful, but if I'm honest, it's mostly because I don't enjoy it :)

      Delete
  5. Your hexies look great. When you're back, talk to Jenn -- she knows EPP hexies. The mug rugs look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja :) Jenn was my inspiration for giving the hexies a go.

      Delete
  6. I love the look of the 'untraditionally' pieced hexagons, I will have to check that video out, thank you for posting =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick and easy method, which is what I needed for that project. It was giving me all kinds of headaches.

      Delete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)