Wednesday, June 17, 2015

WiPs and Let's Bee Social #77

Not a lot of time at the sewing machine this week, so far.  My wrist and thumb (right hand) are complaining painfully.  Yesterday I couldn't manage my scissors so gave the sofa cushions the pleasure of my company for most of the afternoon :)
 
I've settled on the layout for Venice and made three more heart blocks with the rows going in the opposite direction, that left me with 5 extra blocks.  I used two for cushion tops and three in the backing, along with the left over heart fabrics.  The back is almost as nice as the top :)  This is my June 'A Year of Lovely Finishes' project, so the finish pictures will be posted at the end of the month. If it is finished :)





Hillside Houses is still hanging over the back of the door. It's all sandwiched and waiting to be quilted and I love it, but haven't a clue how to quilt it.  I'm limited with my Janome and lack of FMQ skills so it will be straight (sort of) lines.  I'm thinking 1 1/2" apart in both directions (most of the blocks are made up of 3 inch pieces) or maybe 1/4" either side of the seams or should I go diagonal? Decisions do my head in ;)



I finished the last row of the Beach Quilt, got them sashed and together, pieced the back and have it all sandwiched and ready for quilting.  I really don't like working with solids!  They are so unforgiving and show every wrinkle.  Quilting this one will be a nightmare for me :)  No pictures of the back, I'm hoping once quilted the blue I used will look less horrible, wrinkly speaking.




This morning I settled on the colors for my 'hexie' cushions and I'll work on some more of them tonight while watching Corrie and whatever D channel surfs. I made some on Monday night, going with the EPP technique rather than using glue basting.  They came together quick enough.  I don't have many to do, so I shouldn't get too bored with them :)




Linking up with Lorna's LET'S BEE SOCIAL #77 at Sew Fresh Quilts.

I hope your day is a great one and the rest of your week is full of sewing moments :)

12 comments:

  1. You really have such a nice variety of projects going on here! :)
    I'm a hand quilter so no clue about how to machine quilt the houses but looking at them, were I to hand quilt I'd probable echo quilt around the windows and doors ...lines outside of them. I'd probably outline lines inside of the roof, walls etc. It would be fun doing that with different colors of quilting threads. Uh-oh this makes me want to add this to a project list down the line :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hand quilter, awesome! I admire the patience and work that goes into working a project by hand. I like the idea of multi shades of thread, with a project this size (wall hanging) I could probably step outside my comfort zone.

      Thank you for dropping by 'Both Sides' :)


      Delete
  2. You're projects are looking great. I'm really liking that beach quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the beach quilt was a fun sew :)

      Delete
  3. Love the hillside houses! I downloaded the instructions and will add that to my "to do" pile - yours is lovely! Also, really love your beach quilt - sweet fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Hillside Houses! The Beach Quilt is also on Pretty Little Quilts, under Tutorials. No PDF files so you have to go back to the Blog, but the blocks are big and lovely and the instructions are great :)

      Delete
  4. Not much progress she says? Your projects all look fabulous! Especially your Hillside Houses. I think the straight line quilting will be a wonderful compliment to this modern design. Your hearts quilt looks so happy and bright against the dark background. Looks like you will soon be sharing some lovely finishes with us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I went with the straight lines and it looks great! Can't wait to get it up on the wall :) Looking forward to seeing yours when it's done.

      Delete
  5. You seem to always say, not much sewing, but there are always projects to be shown. LOL. Your Hillside Houses are awesome. Sorry, but no great ideas on quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of what I accomplished last week (Wed to Wed) wasn't done at the sewing machine. The bright colors of Hillside Houses makes me smile, I'm so pleased with it :)

      Delete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)