Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Stormy Week of WiPs

Perfectly Paisley made it back to the sewing machine, with the results being a finished top, with NO stars.  I might get creative and quilt in some 'ghost' stars where the appliqued (or whatever the technique described was) should have been.  I'm still annoyed at the wasted fabric and wish I had read and understood the pattern more closely.  The photos don't give the colors justice, they are so much nicer.






'Put The Kettle On', the 3rd Block of the"Snap Shots" BOM at the Fat Quarter Shop got pieced.  Another enjoyable block.  There are mini versions of the blocks, but so far I haven't tried any of them.  I like the bigger blocks, they are more forgiving of my not so accurate seams :)



I made a second attempt at the flowers  from last week's Parade of Elephants QAL at Sew Fresh Quilts and like the results much better :)    I'm going to turn the blocks into a wall hanging for my stair well.  I was going to add the word 'Family', as the stair well is where I have my family photo gallery, but I went with 'Love' instead.  I finished that today and started adding the sashing.  Instead of using the background fabric I'm using a blue polka dot.  No particular reason, I just like it :)





I got the quilting done on the 'Let's Celebrate' table runner and place mats.  Just the binding to do and my 'A Year of Lovely Finishes' March project will be done.  I'll get the binding done over the weekend.  I want it finished early because I leave for England on the 28th and it will be a few days before I'm settled on the other side of the pond :)


A part from snow shoveling and more snow shoveling and more snow shoveling, that's been my week.  I'm linking up with Lorna's Let's Bee Social #64 at Sew Fresh Quilts.  Drop by, click on a link or two and 'Bee Social'.

6 comments:

  1. Visiting from Let's Bee Social. Your wall hanging is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so enjoyed the few blocks I did and didn't want them to sit in the orphan block bin :)

      Delete
  2. I hear you on the time spent shoveling! Holy Snow!
    Lot's of great progress in your corner of the world...good on ya!
    I like that you're doing a bit of the Elephant Parade, I had thought about getting on board but haven't jumped on yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late Valerie, the blocks come together so nicely. I really like the funky colors some of the others used... I'm seeing some purple elephants and an orange frog in my future :) And a turtle with polka dots! LOL But not today, I'm exhausted from all the snow moving, I'm going to soak in a hot tub and veg in front of the boob tube.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had another productive week, even with the snow moving! Love that tea kettle block. And you're right, a larger block is more forgiving in the exactitude department. Paperpiecing can be another way to get around tiny bits... if the minis are offered in that technique, you should give them a try. Not all paperpiecing is like the stuff we did for the Skill Builder BOM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get so confused when I'm paper piecing, but sometimes the results are lovely :) I still tend to shy away from it though.

      Delete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)