Sunday, March 1, 2015

4 x 7 Challenge

The last week of the 4 x 7 Challenge was a challenge.  Mostly I worked on my February 'A Lovely Year of Finishes' project, which I blogged about Here, a couple of uglies (Beach cover-up for my sister and a purse/bag for myself) and a couple of blocks from some older BOMs I had shuffled to the bottom of the heap.  The blocks were more to appease myself after two uglies.

The cover-up has been a pita from start to finish (well almost finish, it still needs to be hemmed).  No pattern, the material is butt ugly (in my opinion), and a royal pita to work with because it is slippery, pins won't stay in it, cutting it was a nightmare...  as I type, it is laying over the back of the chair waiting to be hemmed.  I have until Thursday ;)

The purse/bag got binned.  How the heck do you 'fold over 1/8" and then fold over 1/8" again?  Seriously, does the pattern designer have any clue how small 1/8" is or how hot irons are?  I'm still contemplating pulling it out, picking it apart and trying a different approach to finishing it, but that's not happening today :)  The bag and lining, before sewing them together... no after shots because, well, the bin thing...






After the purse fiasco, I sat down last night and read through the Perfectly Paisley pattern ~~~  Layer matching star points and center star triangles on backgrounds  to create each star,  stitch 1/8 inch from the bias edge of the triangles. Do not stitch in seam allowance.~~~ Huh????  I did a practice set of blocks going by my own interpretation (sewing the triangles on the rectangles kind of like raw edge applique) and I think it will work.  Not an approach I'm particularly content doing, but I've already cut all those freakin' triangles.  ~~~sigh~~~ I so wish I had read the pattern closely first.

In the pattern, the 'squares' blocks are different colors and the rectangle blocks (bottom right) have star points from two different stars, which will be two different prints.  It will definitely stretch my patience.  This was meant to be my project for the January MMQG Sew In, which I didn't make it to and rolled over to be the February MMQG Sew In, which I didn't make it to... ~~~double sigh~~~

Linking up with Sarah's 4 x 7 Challenge at Berry Barn Designs.  Congrats to Lia Sophia Tomboy for her win last week :)

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing the challenge. You were quite productive in February. Always enjoy seeing what you have been up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying so Anja, sharing on the blogs and Facebook adds a little something extra to quilting. This Challenge was fun, and for me, February was the right month to have it.

      Delete
  2. THank you for your congrats on my win! The cover up isn't too bad, actually. It's something I'd also wear with leggings, if it ever gets over 30 degrees Farenheit around here!! But I can imagine the texture and the nightmare of working with it. I like the WIP with the star but I can only imagine your frustration. Nothing is worse than getting involved in a project only to realize just how difficult it might be. I don't have a lot of sewing patience, so it could get really ugly if I were involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lesson learned is 'read first' :) When I have a loss of patience moment, I walk away, make a cuppa and wait for my stubbornness to kick in. Doesn't usually take long ;)

      Delete
  3. Looks like you finished the month strong, Kathy, even if not all projects you enjoyed ; ) I made hat bag for my MIL last year (the Tulip bag or something similar?) and I can tell you I definitely didn't achieve teeny 1/8" seams lol. But it was cute when done. Thanks for participating in the challenge with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the challenge Sarah, it was fun and inspiring, just what we all needed to get through the later weeks of winter. Roll on Spring!

      Delete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)