Saturday, February 21, 2015

4 X 7 Week #3

For Week #3 of Sarah's 4 X 7 Challenge at Berry Barn Designs I worked on two projects, a small table runner and a sewing machine cover.  The table runner is an on point pattern, something I've wanted to try.  I followed the directions for Kite's Tail ( under Blocks by Size 13 - 15 inch) at Quilt Blocks Galore .  Not sure where I'll use it yet, for now it's just hanging around in my sewing room.



I wanted my sewing machine cover to fit over the machine with the quilting table attached, so it's bigger than it really should be, lots of wasted space but it will be good as padding when I travel (hopefully to a MMQG Sew In next week).  While reading my Brother manual, I found a stitch that is supposed to look like hand stitching so decided to use it.  I like it :)





You might notice a difference in my sewing desk between the two groups of pictures :)  I  finally sorted out my machine ledge and got the machine out of the desk drawer ;)  I attached a pine shelf to the back of the old desk, at the perfect height, and turned the desk around.  I got rid of the cobbled together side piece (it was held to the desk with duct tape) and the 2 x 4s that were hold the desk up and which I kicked just about every time I moved, jarring the whole thing.   I love the new set up :)  Lots of leg room and a nice big ledge for holding scissors, pins etc when I'm sewing :)  When I quilt I can slide the machine up tight against the side table which gives me lots of weight support for big projects.

Linking up with the  4 x 7 Sewing Challenge

11 comments:

  1. Love the cheerful machine cover!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stitch is neat, Kathy - looks great on the cover! And yay for getting your set up how you like it. Makes all the difference in your work flow when the space is laid out helpfully : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have everything tickety boo on this side of the pond... but the time I head off to the other side :)

      Your challenge has been great for getting to know my little Brother :)

      Delete
  3. Love the hand-stitched stitch... I have a similar one on my machine that I usually forget to use! Looks like another productive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many stitches... so little time :) It has been a productive week, you would think I spend all day every day in my fun room... oh wait ;)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You continue to be so productive. Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) This has been a fun link up/challenge so far.

      Delete
  6. Love the table runner, and machine cover, I need to a machine cover for my machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna. I now have a machine cover on both sides of the pond, both simple put togethers, good opportunities to explore sewing machine stitches.

      Delete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)