Saturday, February 14, 2015

4 x 7 Week 2

For week two of the 4 x 7 Challenge  put out by Sarah at  Berry Barn Design I decided to slow down and time my 30 minutes a day.  Not exactly, because to be honest, once I sit down at the machine I lose track of time.  But I did spread the 'ME' sewing out over the whole week and only finished two (well, three if you count the In The Forest cushions separately).

First up is the February Mini Quilt,  I used the left over scraps from Kate's Squares (or Frustration x5), the October Mystery Quilt I did last year.  I'm not so sure 'Mini Quilts' are a favorite, the two I've done so far this year were a little on the frustrating side, especially this one.  All those little half square triangle units... all those seams... all those corners snagging up.  But it is pretty and looks nice under my TV and now that it's done I guess I'll at least check out March's Mini Quilt at Connecting Thread's  Quilt With Us .






My second 'ME' finish for week 2 is the In The Forest cushions for my bed.  I've had the material and have been wanting to get a bed set done since October.  I'm sort of marking off two ticks with this one as it's part of my February 'A Lovely Year of Finishes' as well as the 4 x 7 Challenge.  I just did an envelope back and was a little shy with the overlap, but for bed cushions it will be fine.  Lots of wavy lines (in both projects), I'm really liking that stitch but will have to try something else for week 3 :)  I did do a line of fancy stitch on the back of each cushion... upside down as it happens.  I love this learning as I quilt :)




That's my week 2, and again it has been great.  Thank you so much Sarah for hosting this challenge!

                                                   Berry Barn Designs 4 x 7 Challenge

12 comments:

  1. Two great finishes. Love your HST's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 108 - 1 1/2 inch HST Units was a bit much. But I do like the finish :)

      Delete
  2. I really like the fabric for the binding of the first quilt. And I'm laughing because I have just entered half square triangle hell, as can be seen on my own blog, thanks to this 4x7 challenge! Yours looks quite precise which is what I always aim for, but I'm setting myself up for a whole lot of swearing, I fear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things we do :) Enjoy your HST hell, I'm sure the end result will be worth it :)

      Delete
  3. I have a book of paper-pieced minis that are quite do-able... the tiny pieces seem to stay put better. Starching would probably help... all that bias! Looks like you're using your time well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to do a small paper pieced rainbow the other day... I don't think the pattern was actually tested on fabric. Every seam met at the same place and half way through my needle said no more and broke. I couldn't even get the tip out of the fabric. Errrrgggggg. I binned it and the pattern :)

      Delete
  4. Great projects this week, Kathy! I especially love the mini. I'm slowly getting less frustrated with HSTs thanks to starch, pins and a rotary mat for trimming. Love the look of them, just wish they weren't so finicky : P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a necessary evil for many designs. I find the smaller ones more difficult, so doing all HSTs and that many of them was a bit trying. At one point I had a pile of wonky looking rows and thought no way are they going to come together nicely. But I'm good with the results and glad I stuck with it.

      Your 4 x 7 Challenge has been great fun so far :)

      Delete
  5. Love the strippy binding on your HST finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, it's a nice fabric if a little hard to fit into quilts. I used it in a BOM last month, as icing on a cake, it looks good there too

      Delete
  6. The mini is cute, but I have to agree, minis aren't my thing either. They look great, but I prefer a quilt I can snuggle under. Great job for the week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they would help hone my piecing skills, but mostly they just frustrate because the pieces are so small leaving no room for error. Not saying I won't do another however :)

      Delete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)