Monday, January 19, 2015

By The Bay Row of The Month

This RoM started in October and I've been downloading the patterns each month, fully intending to get at it and this weekend I finally printed them out and pulled fabrics from my shelves.  There doesn't seem to be any kind of  'join in' place where we share our progress, at least I can't find a link to anything other than the patterns and there isn't any chatter on the blog but so far I'm enjoying the process :)
October's row was Mountains, basic triangle blocks.  The blocks went together quickly.
November's row was the Sun.  It's a ~~~gulp~~~ paper pieced row (except for the four square blocks on either end.  Paper piecing is NOT my favorite thing to do and this one had me in fits at first with not only angles but angles on a curve.  I kept getting confused as to which way to lay the pieces and ended up picking out a lot of seams at the beginning.  I did eventually get into a rhythm, and while still slow going at least no do overs.  I love the end result... but the row is a little shorter than the others so will need some creativity when it comes time to join them together :)
December's row was boats.  Lots and lots of half square triangle units trimmed down to 2 1/2 inch squares.  Trimming is another non favorite thing, but I got them done and I love the orange and yellow boats, they make me smile :)
January's row is ocean waves.  I haven't gotten to it yet :)







4 comments:

  1. Row, row, row your boats, gently through the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your paperpieced sun came out beautifully. No gulp needed! Ocean waves can be tricky... depending on the size of your pieces. Just keep your cutting and piecing accurate and you should be fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out being simple half square triangle units sewn together, I hardly think it needed to be a row of the month, it could have been incorporated with the sail boats. I'm caught up now :) Roll on February...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sun is awesome. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)