Thursday, July 31, 2014

Trifle Dish

I was lazy in the posting department for July, still doing a lot of sewing, just not really working on a project.  This past week I've been working on a Moda Bake Shop QAL, late as per normal for me so I've been quilting along with myself :)   This one is called 'Trifle Dish' and has 8 layers.  I've worked through 7 of them, messing up several times along the way, mostly not following the directions close enough and skimping on the trimming bit.  I've had to tweak each layer by either dropping a block or two or adding a strip here and there, but it's scrappy enough that I don't think the end results are too awful.  Don't look too closely at some of my blocks, especially the Cherry Spools... yikes, some goofs just don't get seen until I'm too far into building the layer.

Cherry Spools

Jewels

Orange Peels

PinWheels

Posies

SpongeRolls

Strawberries

Only one more layer to go :)

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Janome Cover

I forgot to post the finished results of my sewing machine cover :)  I played with some of the stictches my Janome will do.  Love them!  I wish I had played with them earlier, I could have made the dress for the rag doll I sewed for D's mother a little fancier ;)

Stitches

Adding the binding to the bottom

Perfect fit!

Circle Owls

Got caught up reading blogs and remembered I'd been neglecting my own.  Haven't sewn much over the past couple of weeks, with 'stuff' going on there just hasn't been the time or desire.  Yesterday I pulled out some Owl Fabrics and visited my Pinterest Album for the link to Stichery Dickory Dock for the instructions to the circle play mat  I've been wanting to try.  I got  the 40 fabric and twenty batting circles cut out (I think more would be better, but I used up all the Owl Fat Quarters I had), sewn together and flipped right side out (I did that while watching an afternoon movie).  Then came sewing the rows together.  You would think that would go quickly.  Wrong!  The rows are supposed to be sewn together and then the 'flaps' sewn down in a cathedral window style, but I was having lots of problems getting the corner joints sewn without a hard bump, not really great for a child's play mat. I became best buddies with my seam ripper, until I'd  had enough and  the twenty 8 1/2" sandwiched circles found their way to the shelf.  At least they didn't fly out the window, though I think they would have decorated the apple tree quite nicely.
Laid out on the Spare bed (minus one row which was at the machine).

Sewing the circles into rows was no problem... it was sewing the rows together tha gave me fits.

Shelved

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

0207 WiP

It's Wednesday, and this is a WiP.  I'm not linking up because I don't really know how AND I'm not sure I'm ready to ;)   I'm making a sewing machine cover without a pattern, so it's anyone's guess as to what the end result will be.   I'm following the directions for some of the 12" Beyond The Block BOMs  at Stitchery Dickory Dock, using those lovely spools and sewing prints I got awhile ago.  I've made 4, which I think will be plenty big enough and even got two of them quilted :)
Mercy

Intention

Presence

Teach

Quilting


2 Quilted

2 to Go

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

GO BEARCATS

I finished the backing for the Bearcats quilt.  The letters are approximately 7" by 4" made with 2" squares and HSTs then stripped together with a 3" strip.  My plan is for them to be centered on the back.  Not sure how I'll quilt it yet... I had thought I'd quilt around the letters, but then the words would be backwards on the front so I guess it will be a front to back straight line job, probably following the lay of the herring bone design.  It shouldn't make much difference to the lettering in the back, I think they are big enough to stand out against the black no matter how I quilt over them.  I'll do the binding in strips of the various reds.

Fun project... I'm almost tempted to quilt it and worry about getting it home when the time comes, even if I have to carry it on board :)   I could always wear it like a cape ;)  The clothesline picture looks a little washed out, thanks to the beautiful sunshine :)  The black is much darker, as you can see in the CAT picture.

Go Bearcats

CAT