Tuesday, October 7, 2014

October Mystery Quilt

A couple of days before crossing the pond I hit the 'send to cart' button on the Craftsy October Mystery Quilt.  Two days after arriving home I received the Craftsy squishy parcel.  It is so nice to get squishy parcels full of fabric :)  I was hesitant about taking part in a workshop without first seeing the pattern, but the fabric colors were just too tempting.

I was really good about not opening the bundle before the pattern arrived on Oct 1.  Which wasn't really that difficult because I was busy setting up my sewing room, purchasing things I needed and didn't/couldn't bring back to Canada with me.  Not to mention settling back into life on this side of the pond. :)

The pattern arrived in my email on October 1 and I cringed.  Had I seen the pattern first I'm pretty sure I would have given this one a miss.  All those pieces... all that cutting... all those seams... yikes!


The fabrics are beautiful and the finished quilt will be too.  I'm sure of it.  So onward I go making Miss Kate's Turnover, for my Katie girl :)  I'm almost certain I'll get 'er done.



Ironed and starched all those wonderful Fat Quarter prints, 1/2 yard binding, 2 yards of white and 2 yards of border fabric and then hit the cutting board.  Not for the faint of heart!  There are a lot of 3" squares, 4 inch squares (for making the half square triangle units) rectangles, and half rectangle units in Miss Kate's Turnover!  But, I'm mostly done and ready to start sewing...


My reminder of how lovely the fabrics are and inspiration to finish :)



 

2 comments:

  1. Great way to display those beautiful scraps! And I can't believe you starched all that fabric! You are so keen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time ever and likely the last. I really don't see where it makes a difference, especially for smallish pieces. Maybe on backing... I didn't notice it made cutting any easier. Might have been because of the starch I used or the amount I sprayed on?

    ReplyDelete

Jump in with a comment as and when it suits :)